IS - 110 Reykjavik
Tel. (+354) 411 6300
Fax (+354) 411 6301
ReykjavÝk Museum - Arbaejarsafn
Arbaejarsafn was established by the
City of ReykjavÝk, Iceland, in 1957 as an open-air museum to preserve and show
selected old houses, in order to give visitors an opportunity to learn about
the architecture and lifestyle of the past. The museum has been created around
the old farm of ┴rbŠr. The farm is first mentioned in written records in 1464.
The present farmhouse was built in 1880-1920. The museum church was originally
built in 1842 in Skagafj÷rur, north Iceland. It was moved to the museum in
1959, and reconstructed in the following year.
The oldest is Smidshus (the Smith's
House), built in 1820. Refreshments are served at Dillonshus (Dillon's House)
which dates from 1835. It is named after an Irish lord who built it for his
mistress, and mother of his child, Sire Ottesen. She ran a restaurant there.
Guided tours for groups by arrangement.
Nordic Store •
Car Rentals in Iceland •
Hotels in Iceland •
Commerce & Services • Culture & Arts • Education • Entertainment •
• Fisheries • Health • Industries • News & Media • Public Authorities •
• Recreation & Sports • Shopping • Shipping & Transport • Tourism •
• Home • Search • About Randburg •
Copyright ę randburg.com. All rights reserved.